Saturday, March 27, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Two Dorks Walked Into a Bar...

On St. Patrick's day 2008, two dorks, unaware of each other's existence, walked into the same Irish Pub in the "Old Town" of Düsseldorf, Germany.  They both sat at the same bar drinking the same beer.  Both had broken up with significant others within the last 24 hours, and were just going out for some time alone.  Both usually prefer to sit and talk with a stranger to sitting alone.

You could call it fate, luck, or thirst, but on that day, I met the man I am going to spend the rest of my life with, and I knew it!  He approached me in English, with an adorable German accent.  He bought me a round, we chatted, got to know each other, and then he dropped the bomb...  He's a fireman!  I was sold!

I knew within the first few months of our relationship that, despite a nine year age gap, he could keep up with me, both in conversationally and actively.  We celebrated my 25th birthday together in Paris, his 34th birthday in Miami, and New Years in Düsseldorf.

Two years later, on St. Patrick's day 2010, he got down on his knees, pulled a box out of his pocket and put a ring on my finger.  A very nice ring, I might add.  Although we've been on many journeys together already, endless more are to come. 

We are now starting our newest journey, planning for not one, but two weddings!  It is German tradition (and law) to get married twice.  First, legally, at the Standesamt (like a court house/city hall wedding in the States), and then in the church.  We have decided to switch it up a bit.

Since we both love the outdoors, we will have our second wedding on the beach, instead of in a church.  It will, in a way, be a vow renewal ceremony, currently scheduled to take place one year after our legal wedding at the court house.  When that will be, is still up in the air.

I invite you to join us on this adventure of culture, costs, and creativity as I scour the world for everything from the perfect dress to the perfect beach. 

Buckle up, and enjoy the ride!

Amanda

0 comments:

Post a Comment