Sunday, May 2, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Thirsty Thursday: Bier!

Since I'll be legally wed in Germany, to a German, it goes without saying that das Bier will flow at both (German and American) receptions.  Some of you may already know that here in Düsseldorf there is a special beer called Altbier. Alt is German for old, but the beer itself is not old, however, the recipe is. If you're really interested in the history of it, you can read about it here at Wikipedia.

Andre's favorite Altbier brewery is Uerige, which I believe I've mentioned before. It's where we're currently planning on having the German reception. Here is a photo to give you an idea of the atmosphere.



There is another Düsseldorf specific beverage which will most likely be consumed on the wedding night, and that is Killepitsch. It is a liquor based on herbs, similar to Jägermeister, but better. Well, my Mom thinks it's just as terrible, but my Aunt Kim loves it because it clears out her sinuses. Anyhow, it's right next door to Uerige, and we may just all have a stop over...



And while many people think it is tradition throughout Germany to wear Lederhosen and a Dirndl (the woman's version), it's actually only a Bavarian custom. However, if I were carrying this much Bier, Andre wouldn't mind.  We are getting married in October after all...



Speaking of Andre's love of Bier, I saw this cake and I'm tempted to have it for the German wedding even though they don't drink out of these mugs in this region of Germany...



Buckle up! (but take a taxi)
Amanda

0 comments:

Post a Comment