Thursday, April 1, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Wed-less Wednesday: German Holidays

For now, Wednesdays will be the day where I don't blog about wedding stuff...  Today's topic being, German Holidays.  I decided on this topic, because Easter is this weekend, and that means, long weekend for me!

Nation wide in Germany, banks, post offices, schools, shops, and everything else is closed from Friday until Monday.  I get an extra day off because many people schedule their vacation around the long weekend, just like we do in America, and take Thursday off to have a five day weekend.  If you live in Germany that's enough time to take a weekend trip to pretty much anywhere in Europe.  Sweet, huh?

Unfortunately, the Fire Department doesn't close for national holidays, and therefore, we will not be going on a five day European adventure.  We will however, probably drive up to the Netherlands for a day trip, or maybe Hamburg, Germany, since I've never been there.  I'll let you know next week on Wed-less Wednesday where we ended up going.

Another German holiday I get to celebrate is May day, which I find the perfect start to my Birthday month.  It's also when I start my count down.  However, the best event of the year, what I and Andre look forward to the most, takes place in July.  It's not a holiday, however, Andre gets off of work every year to attend the "Grosse Kirmes am Rhein" (the big carnival on the Rhein).  Rollercoasters and rides, fair food and beer, and gorgeous weather to boot!



But back to Easter.  Germans and Americans aren't so different when it comes to celebration and traditions on Easter.  They too have the Easter bunny, egg hunts, and baskets of candy.  One cool tradition which I may use in the future is the burning of the Christmas tree.  I don't know exactly how this tradition originated, but I do know that if you never get around to throwing out your tree, just keep it around until Easter, then burn it and say you're German!

If you'll excuse me, the sun is out, so I'm going to run and take advantage of the nice weather!  Happy Easter!



Buckle up!
Amanda

0 comments:

Post a Comment