Sunday, April 11, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Wedding Movie Monday: Father of the Bride

This weeks movie was “Father of the Bride”, which I probably haven't watched since it came out in the early nineties. Now, my parents aren't Steve Martin and Diane Keaton, however, there is a certain similarity to the relationship between father and daughter in that film which parallels the relationship I have with my father.




This scene in particular made me laugh, and tear-up at the same time:

I met a man... and we're getting married.

Another scene which made me think of my dad was when Steve Martin is in the attic of his house trying on his old tux from the 70's and singing “What's New Pussycat”. I had a mental image of my dad trying on this old suit:



All joking aside, if you haven't seen the movie in a while, it's worth a watch. I don't think we'll have the same “budget problems”, because I'm not having Fraaank as a wedding coordinator. And when it comes down to it, I imagine it would be a little bit of a role reversal with my father reminding my mother not to cut costs. After all, she is the one who convinced me I had to have a coupon to buy anything!

For me though, what really hit home was how “normal” they were as a family unit. While they bonded over basketball, we bond over boating. Also, the line about the daughter being like the father and the future husband being like the mother... I am “daddy's little girl”!



Buckle up!
Amanda

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the pics... i remember them. back when we had hair!!! still in love though even without all the hair. mom

Post a Comment